Thursday, December 11, 2008

one short day in the emerald city

here's another reason why i love this city: it's oozing with arts and culture. two weeks ago, vera and i went to see wicked. it's a little expensive, but vera couldn't have said it better when she said it was money well spent.

of course you have to know the story of the wizard of oz to appreciate it. it's actually about the untold story of the wicked witch of the west. basta panuorin niyo when you get the chance.
grabe up to now i still can't get over it, and i'm looking forward to catching the next big show in broadway. hayy dito ko namimiss si nek and des. remember guys when we watched that international silent film fest. that was german right? hehe basta it's about the big, bad dr. mabuse! hehe

anyhow. below are excerpts of some of my favorite wicked songs. enjoy!




NO ONE MOURNS THE WICKED

GLINDA:
And Goodness knows
The Wicked's lives are lonely
Goodness knows
The Wicked die alone
It just shows when you're Wicked
You're left only
On your own

Ozians:
Yes, Goodness knows
The Wicked's lives are lonely
Goodness knows
The Wicked cry alone
Nothing grows for the Wicked
They reap only
What they've sown

DANCING THROUGH LIFE

FIYERO
The trouble with schools is
They always try to teach the wrong lessons
Believe me, I've been kicked out
Of enough of them to know
They want you to become less callow
Less shallow
But I say: why invite stress in?
Stop studying strife
And learn to live the unexamined life

Dancing through life
Skimming the surface
Gliding where turf is smooth
Life's more painless
For the brainless
Why think too hard
When it's so soothing
Dancing through life
No need to tough it
When you can slough it off as I do
Nothing matters
But knowing nothing matters
It's just life
So keep dancing through

I'M NOT THAT GIRL

ELPHABA
Hands touch, eyes meet
Sudden silence, sudden heat
Hearts leap in a giddy whirl
He could be that boy
But I'm not that girl:

Don't dream too far
Don't lose sight of who you are
Don't remember that rush of joy
He could be that boy
I'm not that girl

Ev'ry so often we long to steal
To the land of what-might-have-been
But that doesn't soften the ache we feel
When reality sets back in

Blithe smile, lithe limb
She who's winsome, she wins him
Gold hair with a gentle curl
That's the girl he chose
And Heaven knows
I'm not that girl:

Don't wish, don't start
Wishing only wounds the heart
I wasn't born for the rose and the pearl
There's a girl I know
He loves her so
I'm not that girl


DEFYING GRAVITY

ELPHABA: (sung)
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky!
As someone told me lately:
"Ev'ryone deserves the chance to fly!"
And if I'm flying solo,
At least I'm flying free.
To those who'd ground me,
Take a message back from me:
Tell them how I am
Defying gravity!
I'm flying high,
Defying gravity!
And soon I'll match them in renown.
And nobody in, all of Oz.
No Wizard that there is or was.
Is ever gonna bring me down!

3 comments:

  1. I have the book! I also have the sequel Son of a Witch. :) But I havent' started on the second one.

    I'm so inggit!!! I hope they perform it here. Huhuhu.

    Segue, yeah it was the Goethe Silent Film Festival. We saw Dr. Mabuse the Gambler. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh yeah, goethe nga! hehe.

    Son of a witch? yung wicked book lang yung nakita ko, you mean fiyero and elphaba had a baby? hmm...interesting.

    if they got it on video, i'll send you guys a copy. pero if you abbie rhas and sher could come here, that would be great too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The title character of the second book is Liir, but I'm not sure if he's Elphaba's son. Hehe, di pa ko tapos sa Wicked.

    Sige, wait for us. We should be there in the next couple of years. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete